Paediatric and Early Years First Aid
Paediatric and Early Years First Aid
This Paediatric First Aid course is designed for people who are working, or intend to work in the childcare sector. This paediatric first aid course has been designed to meet with the requirements of OFSTED for Early Years First Aid Provision. The paediatric first aid course includes resuscitation skills for Adults, Infants and Children. Candidates will receive training in a range of first aid skills.
The paediatric first aid course teaches a range of skills including:
- The ability to act safely and effectively when an accident or emergency occurs.
- The treatment and priorities of care for an unconscious patient.
- The recognition of cardiac arrest and delivery of cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR).
- The ability to safely and promptly treat a patient who is bleeding.
- Recognition of common childhood complaints and illnesses and appropriate care
- .Developing an effective emergency plan for when emergencies occur.
- The keeping of simple records following an accident in the workplace/care setting.
- Multimedia Presentations to convey essential information.
- Hands on practice in small groups monitored by the instructor.
- Continual positive encouragement from approved Instructors with a normal maximum group size of 12.
- An excellent, full colour student manual to use during the course and keep as a future reference on first aid.Up-to-date information presented in a relaxed learning environment.
- The opportunity to complete a course evaluation and signup for industry related updates.
- Prestan manikins of both adult, child and infant sizes, all market leaders in the technology that is used.
Successful candidates will be awarded a plastic qualification card on completion and receive a full colour A4 certificate awarded by WorkSafe Training Systems.
Please note that this course, unless it is done via blended learning, usually runs over two days which are held a week apart. When you make your booking please bear this in mind.
The information below supports the syllabus of the paediatric first aid course.
Main causes of child accident and injury - This link will take you direct to the Child Accident Prevention Trust which covers common accidents and injuries which occur to children and also prevention techniques.
Use of a Defibrillator - This link will take you to a downloadable guide to the use of a Defibrillator. The guide provides information about AEDs and how they can be deployed in the community to help resuscitate a victim of cardiac arrest. This link will take you to the updated 2018 guidance on the use of the AED.
Food Allergens - Use this link to look at the latest published study into paediatric food allergens by Kings College, London. Looking for help with menu planning for your kids ? Then look at this American website that has lots of helpful menu ideas. This link takes you to a pre recorded Webinar, "Paediatric Allergy, your questions answered", sponsored by the Anaphylaxis Campaign. Finally this link takes you to the Allergy North West NHS page.
Asthma- Have a look at this just released North American study into childhood Asthma.
Asthma- Have a look at the NHS advice on Asthma here.
Burns - This link will take you to the Children`s Burn Trust and the National Burns Database. Here you will find more information on Awareness campaigns, First Aid and an incidence database.
Children and Falls. For a World Health Organisation fact sheet on this issue look here.
Anti Microbial Resistance - Anti Microbial resistance is a growing issue. This link explains more about the issue.
Click here to read the new EYFS guidelines.
Child Safety Week 2018. Click here for some great information on child safety week and how to keep your children out of harm`s way.
Updated guidance on the use of tourniquets can be found here.
The Social Action, Responsibility and Heroism Act (2015). More information here.
Is your childcare setting Meningitis Aware ? Find out more here.
To book your place on the paediatric first aid course please see the list of available dates below or alternatively to arrange your own training event contact us.
12 hour programme